Quebec - meet the perogie. Perogie, Quebec. I'll bet we can find some common ground in the Poutine Perogie.

Once upon a time, I lived out west.  Like many people, I didn't think that much about people not living out west.  Not that I didn't like to, but it just didn't come into my mind.  Then, I left the province I grew up in for adventure.  The place: Korea.  I learned much while I was out there, and I was inspired to adventure more.  So I moved to the Quebec side of Ottawa, called Gatineau.  The food was great.  Namely, the poutine was spectacular.

However, is the love for perogies ever really replaced?  I have to admit, when I saw an article in the Globe and Mail,  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/my-national-dish-the-mighty-pierogi/article1618895/, I was absolutely resolute in the idea that perogies were the best - the absolute best.  However, on further inspection, and remembering how much I love that beautiful chewy cheese, I can't deny that poutine is truly great.

That's when I got the idea for bringing the two together.  Also, the idea that there are many more ideas where that came from.  As I like attention, and my bosses (oh, those poor bosses!) don't really like my constant chatter in the office, a blog was necessary.  The birth of this blog!!

So I set out: delicious curd cheese and some simple salt and pepper mashed potatoes, drowned in poutine sauce. (But not gravy - gravy is made with the fat after a roast is cooked.  Poutine is made of broth.)

The recipe: (Filling)

1 package of curds - bought that day, if possible
2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced, boiled
3 tbsps butter
1 tsp salt (or to taste - but the cheese is already salty, so not too much)
1 tsp pepper

Mash the potatoes up with butter.  Add the salt and pepper, making sure that you taste test along the way.  Once again, it should not be too salty, because it will be twice as salty in the end. 
Fill the perogie up half with cheese curds, and half with the potatoe filling. 

Seal it up - then boil, and fry lightly in butter.

Poutine sauce (from - what do you know - Emeril Lagrasse)

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
 In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter and flour. Stir until incorporated. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes for a dark roux. Stir in the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.

 See here for Emeril's complete poutine recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/poutine-fries-and-gravy-recipe/index.html

If you freeze these guys, make sure that you fry them, as the cheese does not heat up as quickly as the potatoes do.

The Reviews:  Extremely filling. (I didn't get more quotes for this one, as they came at work when I was preoccupied with.... work)  Generally, good stuff.


0 comments:

Post a Comment