Goat Cheese and Pesto Perogie

 As I've mentioned before, my family didn't go too much on the adventurous side of cooking when I was a young girl.  In fact, I don't think my parents want to change that too much, even today.  (Can't blame them - there are some good roasts and steaks from our beef farm, that I cannot cook due to the fact that I'm not living anywhere near the farm anymore, and even half decent roasts and steaks are oh-so-expensive compared to various combination of veggies, pasta, and cheese.)

Therefore, I started to explore the world outside of my regular family feast, into foods like: cheese.  Really, really good cheese.  I can't say that I'm an expert of any sort at the moment, but the world is opening up.  My favorite at the moment is a nice simple goat cheese.  (I've seen that some have started calling it a chevre - perhaps it's always been that way - which makes me think about a documentary about the Normands, and why we don't call our beef "cow" when it's on our plate)

Pesto has probably become important to me only because my dear husband got a lot of basil for me at the beginning of spring.  I was having a conversation with friends, saying that I only really wanted a good potato masher, and a basil plant.  He came back with a potato masher, and basil seeds.  Many, many basil seeds.  Does someone want a basil plant?

Pesto is a great recipe to play around with.  I've seen people chastised if they've used lemon juice in their recipe, but I'm rather addicted to lemon, so I'm a staunch supporter.  I don't use pine nuts, as they don't fit in the budget, but I do use walnuts.  Along with plenty of garlic.  One can never have enough garlic.  (Unless they have a partner that doesn't quite enjoy it.  Okay, brush teeth after eating, just to have the best of both worlds)

You could also buy the pesto, but I recommend playing with the recipe a bit.  To give you a head start, I'll give you one that I have at the top of my head:

Pesto Recipe


1 handful of basil leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsps olive oil
pepper, to taste
1/2 lemon - juiced


In a mortar and pestle, bruise the basil leaves well.  You can also send these through the food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients, except the pepper and lemon.  Add the pepper and lemon slowly, as you taste the pesto.  Add more lemon and pepper to your desired taste.



These flavours - pesto and goat cheese - culminated into one perogie.  If you like these flavours too, let me say one word:  Yum.



The goat cheese is pretty strong and tangy, and the pesto gives it a nice boost.

I've fried these up afterwards, with the intention of making them crispy.  Therefore, I used the Cottage Cheese dough, and it worked quite well.


Goat Cheese and Pesto Perogie


(Makes 20 - 30 mini perogies)


3/4 cup goat cheese
1/3 cup pesto
1/3 cup bacon fat
10 - 15 cherry tomatoes


After rolling out the dough, use a smaller cup to cut out the shapes.  (I used a small Korean tea cup)  Spread the pesto out on the dough, then add the goat cheese.  After a half hour, the cheese will feel like play dough, making it easier to work with.

Place in boiling water.  Put bacon fat in frying pan, and turn to medium heat.  Boil until the little guys rise to the top (it really won't take long).  Place in pan with bacon fat, and fry until lightly browned.  Move the perogies around every 15-30 seconds, so they don't stick to the pan.

Serve with halved cherry tomatoes, in order to compliment the goat cheese.


Husband's thoughts:  A delightful Pesto bomb.  He couldn't really taste the bacon fat, but the dude also smokes.  Noticed the crispiness, and appreciated it.

Nancy, perogie-lover-extraordinaire:  "Fabulous" (Or another positive adjective that starts with "f")  I think I might make these for her if she finds a reason to be upset with me....

Note:  These guys really are a big taste in a small bite, so don't plan to serve too many.  People like them, but they probably won't eat more than four mini-perogies each.

3 comments:

Katerina said...

I love pesto too. I think they must tasted great. I would love to try them.

Medifast Coupons said...

Thank you so much for your perogie recipe, and can't wait to make this coming week and surprise the family with homemade perogies instead of store made. I am impressed and I bet they will be too.

Marianne Cablooshki said...

Let me know how it works for you, Medifast Coupon!

Post a Comment