Custard + perogie + blow torch = Creme Brulee Perogie

I. Love. Sugar.

Yes, I am trying to cut down.  I think I'm getting results from this fact.  I'm less sleepy, I have more energy throughout the day, and I feel more up-beat.

Still - I can't cut myself off completely.  That's where dessert perogies come in.  More precisely, the Pumpkin Créme Bruleé Perogie.  Truly, this is the stuff dreams are made of.

I bring this idea up in the middle of my work day in the office.  They sounded enthusiastic, but I think they might be getting annoyed with the ideas of food in the middle of the morning or afternoon when the penchant for snacks is well under way.  Bad Marianne!

I would stop, but my mind does not.  And as my sometimes not-so-lucky boss knows, at times I can't seem to stop spewing whatever enters my mind.  (I promise I'm working on it, though!)

After trying to hold it in, and then letting it come to a boil several time in my head before verbally erupting, I've decided that a nice rainy day like the one we're having is the perfect day to put it into motion.




First, I try the frozen custard.  I must say that I don't have an ice cream maker.  They aren't that expensive anymore, but I've made a promise to be nice to my budget over the next few years at least while the hubby's in school.  Food is wonderful, but so is electricity.  As well as the ability to one day own a place of your own.


However, sadly, this idea did not work. The custard did not have enough time to jump from "frozen" to "complete finished" while the perogie was boiling in the water.  Also, while I love my mother's dough, the brulee melted off a little too quickly.

Therefore, it was time for another try.  This time, still on a cold, wet, rainy day, I wanted to use pumpkin.  Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away!  (And the pumpkins were dirt cheap)

So, I found a really great recipe for pumpkin creme brulees.  I've revised it a bit, and halved it (As one really doesn't need that much, unless you have many guests).  So as not to infringe even a little on copyright (As well as someone's hard work), here's the link: ehow - How to Make Pumpkin Creme Brulee

Pumpkin Creme Brulee

1 1/2 cup heavy cream (35%)
1 cup boiled and mashed pumpkin
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla extract


Heat the cream to a gentle boil with the pumpkin and vanilla, then reduce temperature.  In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.  Slowly add the cream and pumpkin, 1/4 cup at a time, to the egg mixture.  One does not want the eggs to cook. 


From here, you can put the mixture into ramekins, then place the ramekins in a casserole dish with water.  The level should reach at least half way up the ramekin.  Bake at 325 for approximately 40 minutes, or until the mixture do longer moves when shaken lightly with tongs.  Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, then add sugar and brulee with kitchen torch.


But that's not where we're going with this....

We want to make a Perogie.  Hence, the title of this blog....


I've opted to make these mini perogies, as it seems to be a mini perogie kind of weekend.  I've used a smaller cup (the Korean tea cup I have) to cut out the round shapes. 

Now, the part where we get the liquid custard into a dough.  Well, freezing these guys didn't work.  In a traditional creme brulee, one would stick them in the oven.  But I don't want them to cook all the way, and I want a little less hassle.  I know that my grandmother would not approve (She never used the microwave - no matter how many her children bought for her), but I like technology today. 


So, I've put the custard in the same small cup I've used to cut out the dough.  I've microwaved it, one at a time, for 30 seconds each.  There was a little liquid in the end, but that's a good thing.


After putting the microwaved mixture in the dough and boiling it as usual, put them in a dry place, and ensure they are not touching one another.  Drain any water that may gather on the plate.  Turn the perogie to let both sides hit the air as much as possible.  


Once it has cooled, sprinkle with a good helping of sugar, and brulee with kitchen torch. Do not brulee the other side of the perogie immediately, as the plate will be hot, and the sugar will soon melt.

Finally, you will be done.  Eat!  (Unless you've been taste testing along the way.)  Enjoy and be happy!


Husband's thoughts:  Crispy.  Illegally good.  He sticks by that. 

My thoughts:  I've had an insane amount of sugar in preparing this.  I think I'm going to crash now....

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…
Creme brulee torches

Post a Comment