Orange Spicy-ness Perogie filling. You'll never truly be alone, when you can make it.

Because it makes potatoes and tomatoes dance on you taste buds.  Why would a person want to pass that up?

This spice - is Swiss Joe's Season-All.  Manufactured in Saskatoon, it consists of fine salt, corn starch, garlic, herbs, and spices.  There may have been a time it had MSG, but as the label has scratched it out, I think we should be lead to believe that it no longer does.  In any case, it's delicious.  I need more.  (Mom?  Dear Sister?  Perhaps some other relative or friend I have in Saskatchewan?)

Here's the thing with this spice: it's also my secret ingredient.  There!  So along with the first blog post recipe, y'all know exactly what ingredients you need to make the same perogies that I do.  For those of you who haven't eaten my perogies, they're pretty darn good.  Considering that I am far from perfect, I think my husband reminds himself on my less-than-angelic days that I can cook these darling little delights.

However, I don't want to downplay the onions.  They give a great little bit of acidity, without going too far, and without making it sweet.  (Yes, I have a great love for onions, stretching back at least 5 years.)

This is the first time I've put this recipe down, so I may make changes if I realize that I happened to mis-quote myself.

6-7 diced and pealed potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/4 cup butter
1 small, finely chopped onion
1 tbsp spice (or to taste)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (for consistency)

Mash potatoes up with butter.  Add finely chopped onions.  Add 1 tablespoon of the spice.  Taste, and then continue to add the spice until you feel it's got the right seasoning for you.  While the potatoes are still hot, add the mozzarella cheese, and continue to mash until it is smooth.


Place a spoon full on the circle of dough.  I would use the "Perogie dough sounds like a Korean Martial Art" recipe.


I would recommend, if you are able to, getting a hold of this wonderful spice.  Manufactured by Swiss Joe's Manufacturing, Box 412 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7K 3L3  (306) 934-3148.  If you happen to trought out to Saskatchewan, you'll find it in a surprising amount of stores.

Otherwise, try perhaps the Keg Steak House Spice, or perhaps another orange spice.  (Oh, how proper chefs must hate me!!)

For all other perogie chefs out there, please let me know if you've got a great spice to add to the mix!  (It's okay - it didn't hurt me.  Yet.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment