I like to use all parts of my alcoholic drink - The Drunk Strawberry Perogie

A little while ago, after the earthquake in Haiti, I decided that there must be something I could do.  I'm not much for telethons, even when big music stars are playing their music.  I'm also pretty bad at marathons, walk-a-thons, stay-awake-a-thons, and pretty much any "thons".  Really, really bad at 1) asking for money (lucky boss, I know) and 2) doing one thing that is rather uncomfortable for a long period of time.

Then, I thought of the wonderful ladies from back in my home town, who made perogies to support their rather beautiful Ukrainian Catholic Church.  If they can do good by making perogies, then perhaps I could....  I got a couple of people together, and the selling of the perogies began with a bang!

Now, while making perogies does mean caring about the food for a longer period than one usually makes food - one can also drink in the process. (After all, not only do I have to ask for money - which I hate - but I am doing something in a semi-sustained manner.  I 'deserve' it)

This does not mean that my friends and I get really happy and the poor quality is shown in our work.  No, no, no.  First, my work seems to have kicked my mind into a state of constant detail, which is reflected in the food.  (My poor husband was shocked when planning our wedding, how inane I got while choosing the correct font for the invitations)  Second, when it comes to perogies, no one likes a dumpling that splits while being boiled, and so I've always been up tight about it.  Third, if you are drinking a very filling drink, you're less likely to eat the filling.  And who wants to run out of filling?

I made the following martini, to satisfy the tastes of these wonderful do-gooders:

Strawberry Basil Martini
Yield: 1

3 strawberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
3-4 basil leaves, chopped
3 tbsp martini
4 tbsp vodka
1 tbsp fruit syrup - saskatoon berry, blueberry, raspberry - whatever you can find.  (Or honey)
3 ice cubes

Mash up the strawberry and basil leaves with a fork, and put in the martini shaker.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Shaker that maker until you hands feel cold.  Pour, and enjoy.

But alas - after you pour and strain, there are remnants!  I don't know if you're made of money, but I'm not! (see above, for reasons)  Juicy strawberries, just left to rot?  No, no, no!

The hubby noticed (as we girls were all enjoying wonderful drink), and suggested that we can eat the remaining strawberries, or make it into a filling.  (You see why we're meant to be, yes?)


Creating the drunk strawberry perogie:

It's not quite simple to do this.  Even making a filling out of non-liquefied fruit can be difficult, as too many juices near the lip of the perogie can cause it not to close properly.  Therefore, one needs to freeze the filling.  After about an hour or two, the filling will be stiff enough to be able to spoon it onto the round  piece of dough.

Freezing the little inebriated guy:

After pinching the dough together, throw the perogie back into the freezer as soon as possible.  I like to make about 10 at a time, take out the pan (with wax paper over each layer, and no dough should be touching.) put the perogies down, and then throw the pan back in the freezer.

That said, don't stack too many frozen perogies on top of each other - they will squish down, and the filling is more likely to be released.  These little guys need a lot of of care!

Finally, cooking that stumbling fall-over lush:

If you are eating these immediately, so much the better!  If you are not, leave them frozen - don''t let them melt, for fear of the fruity insides seaping out.

In any case, heat up some cooking oil to medium heat.  Very careful (preferably with a long spoon or fork with a perogie at the end) place the perogie in the oil.  Remove when it floats to the top.

Finish it off with a little bit of creme, icing sugar, or ice cream!

Now, go forth, and never have a boring or wasteful perogie party again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment